Thursday, October 9, 2014

Video Game - Slender: The Arrival (2014)


I went into this game kind of blind as I've never played the original that everyone talked about. I have heard the multiple reports revolving around the murders of people claiming that Slenderman told them to kill which is kind of crazy. Apparently Slenderman has quite the following of murderous children. There's another stab against video games saying that they cause violence.  Let me just point out that video games do not cause violence, crazy people cause their own violence. Okay had to let that little burst out. Thanks :)

So back to the game. Here's a first person game.  The game is really short and according to one of the harder trophies, can be completed within about 45 minutes. I do love short games though!  So it took me I'd say 2-3 hours to beat this because I suck :) but you know.. who cares about that!

The story was a little confusing so I'll try to explain what I can.  Don't be too harsh in the comments if I get it wrong!  So you are a woman I believe who is going to find her friend who apparently got into some trouble (with Slenderman) but when you get to her house nobody is there. There are drawings of Slenderman on the walls and there's really nothing to find until you hear a scream from outside. Going to investigate it brings you to some forest. You see Slenderman on top of a hill and here begins your journey.

The goal of the game is to stay away from him at all costs. He will get you and he will kill you.  Each area gives you a certain amount of tasks to complete before Slenderman kills you (so you pretty much have to run for your life the whole time) so that you can advance to the next area. Along the way you learn more about what happened to your friend and at the end eventually find her dead.

During the last part the game kind of just abruptly ends. Maybe I'm just not that great at following things, but I was very confused at the plot. All in all, pretty scary game. Graphics could have been better, but I don't think the graphics were the main point of the game itself. From what I gather, this is leaps and bounds better than the graphics from the original computer version.

So yeah, pretty scary game. Go check it out. Right now it's on Playstation Network for about $9.99 for all users. I gave it a three due to the confusion and how short the game actually ended up being. Still a pretty good play and a good option for those of you (like me) who are not PC gamers.

No comments: