Thursday, October 9, 2014

Movie - A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014)


I figured it was time to go see a movie in theater since it had been some time since I'd gone. This was a movie I kind of went to see on a whim. Seeing as this stars Liam Neeson, I went in with some pretty high expectations. At the beginning of the movie my friend and I (both fans of Taken) had made a guess that Liam's character would kill at least 50 people in the movie. Sadly it was only five so I guess he's not always a brutal killer in every movie.

As stated in earlier posts (or if you are new to the blog; Welcome) if you do not like any spoilers, you can turn away now. I'd hate to push people away from the blog but that's just the way things are run here! :)

Let me gather my thoughts here since it's been a few weeks since I've seen the movie. I know I know, I should have done this sooner but you know how life it, it doesn't give you a chance to catch up! That and I'm lazy.... REAL lazy...

So this movie follows a broken retired detective who does pretty much illegal side jobs from time to time for people for some extra cash.  When a drug dealer's wife gets kidnapped and murdered, he is approached to investigate the crime and find the person responsible. The kidnappers are two men (from what I gathered they are a gay couple and very odd) who will stalk a woman they like who has a wealthy husband for a good amount of time and once they are alone, grab her up.  Once she is kidnapped, they call the husband to gain ransome money for her safe return. Though instead of returning the women they take, they rape and savagely murder them instead. And my saveagely murder, I mean torture because they're some really sick dudes.

After some persuasion, Liam's character agrees to help out. He gains an unlikely partner (a young homeless boy) who becomes his right hand man during the investigation. Once another girl gets kidnapped, Liam gets on the phone and makes a bargain with the kidnapper to meet him face to face in the graveyard and do the swap there to ensure the girl stays alive. During the swap, guns blaze on both sides killing the drug dealer's brother in the process.

The kidnappers, now wounded, run off with their money. In the car they find out that they money is actually fake and the whole thing was a set up. Unknowingly they carry the homeless boy in the back of their van who snuck in to tail them.  After they get home, the one kidnapper kills the other for making the deal. Once everyone arrives at the house, Liam gives the drug dealer the choice to do whatever he wants with his wife's murderer and leaves. He returns later only to find the drug dealer dead and the kidnapper missing.

After a skirmish in the basement, the second kidnapper is killed. The movie fades out with Liam sitting in a chair in his apartment as the homeless boy is asleep on his couch. Does he adopt him? I'd like to think so. The kid was the real hero in this movie as they would not have found the where the kidnappers lived without him. I should mention that he is a retired detective because while on duty he got extremely drunk. While drunk, he chased down two people who had murdered the bartender only when he went to gun them down he accidentally shot and killed a little girl. That was some pretty brutal stuff right there and they don't explain that to you until almost the very end. And yes, I did count that as one of the five kills Liam made (it's still technically a kill).

Okay so all in all, pretty good movie. I prefer Taken though because... well it's Taken and it's awesome. Haven't seen the second one and I see a third is coming out so I better get rolling on those. Let me know what you thought of this movie in the comments section below. Great movie. Gave it a four. Go see it! Good stuff!

No comments: