Monday, September 3, 2012

Book - The Ruins by Scott Smith


I saw the movie for this a few years back and then recently came in contact with the book. I highly enjoyed the movie when I had seen it in theaters so I knew I would like the book even more. The more and more I got through the book, the more and more I noticed how much changed when turning it into the movie. Here are some BIG noticeable differences:

Movie: Amy gets out alive and gets away to freedom.
Book: Amy dies first and is choked by the vine in the middle of the night.

Movie: Pablo gets shot in the head as soon as they get to the ruins.
Book: Pablo falls down and breaks his back/Gets his legs eaten by the vine/Gets choked by the vine and dies.

Movie: Matheus falls and breaks his back/Gets his legs eaten by the vine/Gets choked by the vine and dies.
Book: Matheus gets stabbed in the heart by Eric.

Movie: Stacy goes down the well and cuts her knee. She eventually goes crazy trying to cut the vine out of her body and ends up killing Eric.
Book: Stacy is the last one and kills herself with the knife. She is uninjured up until this point.

Movie: Jeff carries Amy to the bottom of the hill and distracts the Mayans while she gets away. He is killed with arrows by the Mayans.
Book: Jeff tries to make a run for it while it is dark and raining and is killed by arrows from the Mayans.

Movie: Eric gets stabbed by Stacy and dies. He is uninjured up until this point.
Book: Eric goes down the well and cuts his knee. He eventually goes crazy trying to cut the vine out of his body and ends up killing Matheus on accident.


I just don't understand why they completely flopped everyone's positions in the book? Granted it was a good movie, but it might have been even better had they just stuck with the storyline.

I give this book a 4/5 for being a "I can't put this down" kind of book:

No comments: