Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Video Game - Daylight (2014 PS4)

 photo Photobucket_Daylight_2015.jpg
Gooood afternoon! Well it's afternoon at least where I am. I apologize for the lack of posting lately but I've been focusing most of my free time on watching YouTube videos rather than movies and catching up on some games since I have started about six of them at once. I'm sure all of you gamers out there know what that feels like; the neverending barrage of games.

I'm going to throw a random question out there for those of you who actually read this (fellow gamers and movie lovers). Why do we buy more games when we are trying so desperately to catch up on the ones we already have? Is this something all gamers do or am I just the only weird one?

As for time... well let's just say I've picked up a second job recently so gaming just doesn't happen as much as I wish it could. But enough about my personal life, I'm sure you have all come to this page to investigate how I felt about Daylight. For those of you who have played Outlast, we can go ahead and call this game the Outlast the Prequel or at least part of the series. Despite belief that they were made by the same company, they actually were not. Outlast (one of the first games I have played on my Playstation 4) was created by a company called Red Barrel which is comprised of a few developers from other teams banding together and to my knowledge this is the only game they have made so far. Do not quote me on that because I'm not 100% on that. Daylight is made by Zombie Studios who were also the developers of the Saw games.

Once again I'm kind of off topic here. Let's go ahead and jump into the story here. The story is pretty good for what it is, but I feel like it is a little incomplete. You start the game on the floor in an asylum with no background story or how you even got there which isn't that terrible, but I would have like some sort of intro rather than just throwing you in there. There are holes in the story throughout the game and even the ending doesn't really piece it fully together for me. So okay you start on the floor and all you have is a cell phone which luckily the power never dies on it and you don't have to constantly keep picking up batteries for it or worrying about switching to night vision which is really nice in comparison to Outlast. Nothing against Outlast, but it was hard to look around and appreciate the game when you were constantly in the darkness and on a time limit due to the sparce amount of batteries available for your camera. So you are following a woman you know nothing about (nice to see a female character for once in these first person games) as she goes through a mental hospital, jail, sewer, and then forest area. She picks up papers and photos along the way that explain terrible things that happened to the patients at the hospital while the whole time you have the voice of a doctor talking to you though I'm not sure where it is coming from. Are you on a call with him the whole time? Is there a secret walky talky you don't see? That is not explained at all. From what I can see of the phone, it does not appear that you are on a call so honestly she could just be imagining the voice for all I know.

The game only has one type of enemy which is pretty easy to avoid honestly and that would be the witches. Let me say this about the witches, they are amazing at jump scare tactics. Most of the time you don't know where they're going to be as you don't always hear them or get an indication that they are near except that sometimes your phone will start glitching or you'll hear a scream. I can't tell you how many times I turned around and crapped myself because there was a witch literally two inches from my face. To avoid being killed by the witches, all you have to do is stop looking at them and then you will not be hurt by them anymore. I just make my character turn around and walk backwards with my back toward the witch and usually they go away or just disappear which is nice because you don't get any weapons in the game except flares which destroy the witches. Like the batteries, however, flares and glow sticks are limited though you can easily find them everywhere. The glowsticks are fun and can be used to find more glow sticks, flares, and documents.

I kind of wish there was more to this game. It was really short and each area was a repeat of the last which is really what happened in Outlast though that game had more story and gruesome things that could happen to you. The ending was kind of a mystery and help me out if you understood it.

**SPOILER** - Yeah I should really start using these since I'm kind of terrible about spoiling things for you guys.

So the end I THINK has your character find a paper to realize she was a patient at the hospital who came back and is actually the witch who has been following you around. See what I mean about not making much sense? She finds the paper finding out she's a patient and that the doctor on the phone is actually your doctor. Then she leave the hospital and says something like "it was me" and they show a picture of her that I guess looks like the witches? Like I said, not really explaining much of what they meant by that.

Trophy wise this game is not that hard to get 100% on and can be completed in two play throughs which is nice. It's an easy game and can be run through within a couple of hours. Unfortunately the game doesn't have a platinum, but that's only because it's one of those Playstation Network short games. So the game is on the Playstation 4's Network right now for I think $14.99 so if you want a good survival horror game to play while a bunch of friends watch for some jumps and fun, I highly recommend it. Don't think that my ranting about the story and monotonism of the game means I don't like it. I'm personally a fan of both survival horror and short games (due to my scheduling conflicts) so I gave this one a four for being a really good play. So yeah go ahead and check it out. Let me know what you think or leave your Playstation gamer tag in the comments and we can compare some trophies sometime.

Oh and gamers...? Game on! :)
 photo Photobucket_Daylight_02.jpg

Stupid witches!!! Definitely scared me more times than I can count!!

No comments: